Lactec serves the market and society, offering innovative solutions using science and technology. The qualified multidisciplinary technical staff which works in its network of laboratories is the institution’s principal asset. From the researcher to the mechanic, from the technician to the doctor, all the professions are prepared to pursue results of excellence in research and development projects, technological services, consulting, and training for a wide range of segments.
The history of Lactec begins in 1959, with the creation of the Professor Parigot de Souza Center for Hydraulics and Hydrology. It gave origin to the recognized competence in projects for large hydroelectric projects. This activity was later supplemented by the tradition of the Central Laboratory for Research and Development, in 1982, and the Materials and Structures Laboratory, in 1994. The fusion of all these units, at the end of the 90s, and the creation of the Mechanics and Vehicular Emissions Laboratory, in 2000, gave origin to Lactec, a private and self-sustaining non-profit organization.